Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Waiting Out the Pain

I woke up this morning to a shooting pain that I can do nothing about. Every couple of months this happens as an accompaniment to my chronic illness. Again I found myself whining to God, Why does this happen to me? Why now? I am already too stressed this week, I don't need THIS! I can't do this!

Nothing.

Eventually I grew tired of whining and started asking better questions. Okay, fine. Why is this pain here now? What purpose does it hold in my life right now? What do you want to teach me through this?

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."(1 Thessalonians 5:18)

"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13)


God is a patient parent, but He does not reward whining. He is attentive to His children's cries, but He instructs us to that fateful word: trust. He wants our complete and ultimate trust that He, the giver of all good things, has enough power to give us strength and victory.

In the meantime, my lesson is to accept that life is full of setbacks, challenges and disappointments, but if I take His hand and believe deliverance is on the other side, the wait through the pain is more than worth it.

This week is my test. Who will I put my faith in? Myself? Medicine? Or the God who wants so much more for me than what I've settled for?

4 comments:

Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

Love this Laura: "God is a patient parent, but He does not reward whining." So true and such a great reminder to skip the whining and go straight to cooperating!

Laura Noelle said...

Thanks Shaunie! Yes, it's a hard thing to remember, but so true! =)

Anonymous said...

I have found through this same chronic illness that it does make you stronger and gives you the courage to deal with most of lifes challenges. I feel the same, God has a reason, and I try desperately to not ask "why". I know he knows best. It did take me a while to come to this conclusion tho! You are a strong young lady!

Laura Noelle said...

Thank you! That means a lot to me! Blessings always!