Saturday, February 19, 2011

Through the Fire

"Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope
You're gonna do great things, I already know."

-"The Words I Would Say" by Sidewalk Prophets

I used to wonder why the world felt so cold and dark around me. Why I felt like I was drowning without anyone left to listen and save me. I used to cry myself to sleep feeling completely alone in the depths of despair, to quote Anne of Green Gables.

A few years later, I learned a very valuable lesson. There is a reason I was allowed to feel such deep pain.

See, even the darkest night gives way to dawn. The angriest storm still creates a rainbow. And the deepest depression can open the doors to the greatest joy.

"Even the night shall be light around me; Indeed the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day" - Psalm 139:11-12 (NKJV)

God knew that my pain was for a greater purpose, so He allowed it for a season. Not in spite, or to get enjoyment out of my suffering, but rather as a discipline for a greater good. I was going through the fire so that I might come out pure and filled with beauty.

In the past few years I have been learning to overcome depression on a daily basis, and have begun to experience true joy. I never could understand before that one can only feel as high as they have been low. I had to live through the darkness to truly appreciate the light. And it is WONDERFUL light!

If you are in the midst of the fire, take heart. While you probably can't see a bright future, know that your darkness has another side--one of joy that is literally out of this world.

Never give up hope--you have so much ahead of you. This I know to be true!

7 comments:

Candice Jenee' said...

"one can only feel as high as they have been low" I love this concept! This is so true...for those of us that have truly been down to the bottom of life's muck and mire, we can go as high as the moon and higher.

I admire your resilience and your perseverance. You don't give up, even on the bad days. You are an inspiration.

Debbie Petras said...

I 'happened' upon you on Twitter. But I'm so glad I came to read your blog post. I needed to read this. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm going through a very challenging season in my life. I think I needed this reminder.

Blessings,
Debbie

Laura Noelle said...

Debbie, I am so glad that it encouraged you! I pray that you will see tremendous grace, peace and mercy in your circumstances, whatever they may be. Many blessings!

-Laura

Debra Weiss said...

I love your blog. Always so sweet and encouraging. Every time I stop by, I leave feeling uplifted. Thank you for that Laura.

Hugs,

Debra

Anonymous said...

"one can only feel as high as they have been low" .... sounds familiar... lol.... but so very true. Sometimes it is hard to believe that though when hurting, but God gives us strength to get through the ucky stuff so that we can smile and have joy. Good job, keep it up. hugs

Ascending Butterfly said...

My BFF always reminds me that we can't get rainbows without rain! Feeling true 'joy' really does happen when we let go and let God. It's just the letting go part that most of us have trouble with! :)

Laura Noelle said...

Tracy, I totally agree with you! It is a hard thing and I don't think any of us truly learn how to let go all the time.
Blessings and thanks for stopping by!
-Laura