Thursday, April 3, 2014

Intentional Pregnancy Project Episode 4


Buying Baby Stuff & Sharing Stories

Ever since I was a little girl, I have felt a strange pull towards baby items. My sister and I used to spend hours at garage sales going through baby clothes, blankets and toys and spent our hard earned quarters on these treasures for our doll collection. In fact, I still possess a few of those blankets and outfits!

Needless to say, I've always had a thing for dolls, which makes it easy to justify spending a little money on adorable outfits, shoes and accessories. A few years ago I discovered the world of Reborn Dolls and that's when my baby stuff buying truly went wild. I became a regular patron of thrift stores and purchased piles of clothes, blankets, shoes, diaper bags, bottles, pacis, and even a car seat (used for less than $5). I know own two reborn dolls--one that a reborn artist assisted me in making myself, and one that she crafted. The baby I "made" wear newborn and 0-3 month clothing, so the majority of my collection exists in these sizes. And while I say sure, a real baby could wear them, I am also not going to regret owning the clothes just for my doll. We all have our hobbies!

But back on topic. Some women say you shouldn't buy baby items until after you are well into your pregnancy. This is wise if you are saving money and don't want to have things around the house in case of loss or infertility. Other women say that they enjoyed the process of buying a few things wisely before pregnancy, or early on. 

Personally, I decided that it was a wise investment for me to shop around and purchase select items beforehand that are great deals--sales, clearance, used, free, giveaways, etc. That is most of my collection now. I have spent full price on a few things I absolutely love, but they are new and have good resale or gifting value. 

If you want to see some of my collection, watch this week's video!

As a part of researching and writing my book, Intentional Pregnancy, I am inviting women who are hoping to have children or who have already had them, to share their stories via survey. You can share annonymously, or give me permission to use a quote or story in the book. If I choose to quote you, I will not publish your name to protect your identity, and I will also email you a PDF of the finished book as a thank you. The survey can be taken here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LC3TZJC

So what about you? Did you collect baby items before having children? What were your favorite purchases?

No comments: